Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Act of Kindness No. 8- Pillowcase Challenge


I have officially decided to participate in the Better Homes and Gardens "Pillowcase Challenge." The event lasts for one year and looks to receive 1 million homemade pillowcases that will be donated to local charities.

I never really sewed as a child but became increasingly interested in it throughout my high school and college years. I even took a costume design class in college. Needless to say, I was the last girl in the room finishing my project with tears swelling up in my eyes as the professor snarled at my crooked seams. It is definitely not a secret that I am not the best sewer to ever grace the presence of the bobbin and thread. But like all things that are hard at first, the best way to get better is to practice, practice, practice. So, for the last year I have been doing that to the best of my ability and I now feel confident that someone could sleep on my pillow without the worry of a missing hem or unfinished seam.

So when presented with this challenge, I was ready to jump right in.

The American Patchwork and Quilting: 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge calls all sewers and quilters to unite to make 1 million pillowcases for charities across the United States. To get started, you just pick a free pattern from the web site (or use your own creative pattern) and get sewing. You can choose a shop from a list of participating members on the web site where you can donate all finished pillowcases. If there isn't a participating shop in your state, you can simply click on a link to see a list of participating stores in your area or a list of charities that are always taking donations (such as women's shelters and children's hospitals). Then you drop off your donation and make a record of it on the APQ counter on the web site.

That's it! What a great feeling you will have knowing that you made a difference in the community and in someone's life.



I am still in the process of sewing my pillowcases and with my track record, it may be a while before I am completely finished but there was no way I could wait to share this one with you! So here is my call to you sewing friends: Get Started!

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment